10 January 2011

Even Street Vendors Can Tell You're American

Today was my meeting about how to choose my classes. That was fun, and I now feel kind of slow for not figuring it out sooner. But it doesn't matter too much now, I GET TO ENROLL! Finally.

The most exciting part of my day was ordering a sandwich. The conversation went kind of like this.

Moi: "Pain steak frites, s'il vous plait"
Vendor: "Pas... plus... de frites"
Moi: "Ca suffit. Coca, s'il vous plait"
Vendor: (with hand gestures) "Boutaille ou (whatever the word for can is)"
Moi: "Boutaille, merci"

Although the vendor spoke slowly, and used excessive hand gestures so I would understand the questions, I still felt pretty good about being spoken to all in French. And speaking in French. That's important. Tomorrow I get to take the French placement exam, as well as go register with the sports organization.

2 comments:

  1. Your adventure sounds so exciting! Can't wait to ready more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could see a video of this conversation! Very cool honey!

    ReplyDelete